Best Ethernet cable for Gaming
Can Ethernet Cable Affect Internet Speed?
Ethernet cables are the default means of networking throughout the world. Even if you have a WIFI router at home, it is most likely connected to the main link through an ethernet LAN cable. Ethernet technology has greatly evolved over the last couple of years.
Ethernet technology has greatly evolved over the last couple of years. Nowadays, you can choose from over six different types of ethernet for your home network. But can ethernet cable affect internet speed? Well, it is a debate that requires some basic knowledge about ethernet cable technology and how it works. Therefore, this article will provide a beginner-friendly guide to help you choose the right cable for your network.
Related: Best Ethernet Cable for Gaming
Different types of Ethernet Cables
Ethernet technology has seen several advancements in the past decade. Each new technology brings several performances, speed, durability, and stability improvements with it. However, you may still need to consider your router and network specifications before upgrading your current ethernet setup. Here are the six types of ethernet cables that you can buy.
Ethernet CAT 5 is the oldest technology in the cable world. In fact, it is the first-ever ethernet technology used since the early internet days. So, it is compatible with most old and new routers and internet setups. However, the speed of the CAT 5 cable is limited between 10Mbps to 100Mbps, depending on your connection. Moreover, it restricts your bandwidth to only 100MHz, which can be pretty lethal for multiplayer gaming. Regardless, the CAT 5 cable technology is the technological ancestor of every internet connection that you find today.
The CAT 5 enhanced or 5e is the improved version of the basic CAT 5 technology. It offers several performances and stability improvements over long lengths. For instance, theoretically, the 5e technology supports up to 1000Mbps connection over 100m free distance. In other words, the 5e technology offers a ten times higher transfer rate than the CAT 5 ethernet cables. However, the bandwidth is still the same 100MHz, so there are no improvements in that region. Still, the CAT 5e is the most commonly used Ethernet LAN cable in the market today.
Internet technology improved with the invention of 3G and 4G. However, the users needed a much-improved ethernet technology to utilize such lightning-fast transfer rates. Therefore, the CAT 6 ethernet cables were introduced for the public sector. This cable can transfer up to 1Gbps data over 100m unrestricted length. Furthermore, you can achieve even better 10Gbps results over a 55m distance. In any case, the cable offers a stable 255MHz bandwidth over any connection. The cable is also highly durable with lower signal-to-noise ratios. So, it is suitable for outdoor connections without the impact of solar radiation.
The CAT 6 cables were best suitable for new connection generations. However, the data transfer rate wasn’t still fast enough for the commercial sector. Therefore, the CAT 6 advanced or several commercial firms and businesses use 6a ethernet cables. The advanced cable technology is capable of up to 10Gbps transfer rate with double bandwidth, i.e., 500MHz. Furthermore, the cable is available in the shielded twisted pair STP form to use over large distances out in the open. However, the cable is relatively stiff and doesn’t offer the flexibility required for most residential connections.
Nowadays, advanced 4G+ connections are available in the market, and the 5G connection is right around the corner. The improved connection offers higher bandwidth with the same gigabit transfer rate. In this regard, the CAT 7 cables seem like the new favorite for most technology enthusiasts. It offers a 10Gbps transfer rate over 100m in length but with an enhanced bandwidth of 600MHz. Furthermore, it is protected by screened shield twisted pair connection suitable for home and office use.
The CAT 8 ethernet cables are widely used in the data centers for linking servers and computers. However, some hardcore gamers find it more effective as it provides stable ping and connection speeds. For instance, the CAT 8 technology is suitable for a 24Gbps connection over 100m in length and 40Gbps over 20m. Furthermore, the CAT 8 technology offers a whopping 2000MHz bandwidth, basically a paradise for gamers and server owners.
How Does the Ethernet Cable Affect Internet Speed?
Usually, the internet speed depends on several factors rather than just the ethernet cable technology. For instance, the main factor to consider is your basic internet speed as provided by the internet service provider. For instance, if the internet connection is 100Mbps, then even a CAT 5e cable is good enough. However, the connection’s bandwidth is another factor that you need to consider. In other words, if either the bandwidth or transfer speed is lower than the CAT technology, then you will experience a bottleneck problem. So, it is best to upgrade your CAT technology depending on the internet connection.
Which is Faster, Ethernet or WIFI?
According to researchers, Ethernet or LAN is relatively faster than WIFI. It is mainly because several factors restrict the WIFI’s data transfer speed like physical hurdles, walls, distance from the router, and so on. On the contrary, ethernet offers unrestricted data transfer over long distances without any problems. So, if you are gaming, it would be best to use an ethernet connection at home.
Ethernet cables are the basic means of internet and computer-to-computer connections globally. Even the WIFI routers require a LAN connection in their first socket. In most cases, the ethernet cable does affect the internet speed due to several reasons. Therefore, this article provides a comprehensive guide about different ethernet cables and how you can utilize them to enhance your internet speed.
Related: Best Ethernet Cable for Gaming
Related: Best Modem for Gaming
Gaming ethernet cable – Best Sellers
- 【Heavy duty & Direct Burial】: The double shielded Cat8 Ethernet cable is super-efficient in reducing EMI/RFI Interference and provide highest fidelity for long distance data transmission. With upgraded PVC, Cat8 is waterproofed & anti-corrosion and more durable & flexible for heavy duty work. Can be buried directly . Suitable for both outdoor and indoor use.
- 【26AWG & Superior Performance】: Comparing with other 32AWG Ethernet cable, 26AWG Cat8 is thicker, a lot faster and stable in data transferring, which is perfectly suitable for AI smart products, like Amazon Alexa, Apple Siri, Google Home, Cloud data Server and other smart home & office products that require high speed & high-performance network.
- 【F/FTP & Hyper Speed】: Cat8 Ethernet cable is made of 4 shielded foiled twisted pair(F/FTP) and single strand OFC wires(26AWG) which supports bandwidth up to 2000MHz and boosts the speed of data transmission up to 40Gbps. Shielded Cat8 and the improved quality in twisting of the pairs, Cat8 can reduce any signal interference to the full extent. Allow you to stream HD videos, music, surf the net, play games at Hyper Speed.
- 🔌【Higher Speed】Cat 8 Shielded Ethernet Cable provides performance of up to 40000 Mbps (or to 40 Gigabit per second); High bandwidth of up to 2000 MHz, high-speed data transfer for server applications, cloud storage, online HD video streaming, and gaming without any lag or stop. With Orbram Cat8 ultra-fast patch cord, you won’t worry about waste time for waiting.
- 🔌【Anti-Interference Design】 Orbram professional network cables are made of 4 shielded foiled twisted pair(S/FTP) copper wires with 24K gold-plated RJ45 connectors on each end. Compared to the Cat 7 network Ethernet cable, the additional shielding and improved quality in twisting of the wires provides better protection from crosstalk, noise, and interference that can degrade the signal quality. This will increase the reliability and accuracy of the data transfer.
- 🔌【More Convenient】Cat 8 rj45 cables are in flat design to avoid tangled cords and save space. Flat Lan cable is super flexible to make it easier to hide or run along any surface. You can easily and immediately install the cable run along walls, follow edges or corners when you receive the durable gigabit ethernet cable.
- 【40Gbps 2000MHz Ethernet Cable CAT 8】 Snowkids Cat 8 Ethernet cable 15 ft supports up to 40 Gbps data transmission speed (4 x V.S Cat 7 with 10 Gbps) and 2000 MHz bandwidth (3 x V.S Cat 7 with 600 MHz).Ensuring stable network speed for server applications, cloud storage, online HD video streaming, and gaming without any lag or stop. The network cable can solve 99% of network problems for you, and gaming ethernet cable is best ethernet cable for gaming.
- 【S/FTP Anti-Interference Design】 Snowkids Cat 8 ethernet cord are made of 4 pairs foiled twisted pair(S/FTP) copper wires with 24K gold-plated RJ45 connectors, Cat 8 ethernet cable 15 ft is more corrosion-resistant on each end. The additional shielding and improved wire twist quality provided by the cat8 ethernet cable, The internet cable 15 ft can better protect the signal quality and prevent problems such as crosstalk, noise and interference.
- 【Snowkids Flat Cat 8 Ethernet Cable】 Easy installation and space saving. The high speed Ethernet cable 15 ft uses an optimized flat nylon braid design to maximize cable flex and fit perfectly around corners. Snowkids internet cable is the best choice lan cable for home and office network connectivity. Compared to other round cables, the flat design lan cable takes up less space when installed, and is suitable for embedded installations such as carpets,floors,etc.
Q: What is the best connection for online gaming?
A: Ethernet is generally considered the best connection for online gaming because it provides a stable and fast connection with low latency. This is especially important for games that require fast reaction times, such as first-person shooters.
Q: Is ethernet reliable?
A: Ethernet is generally considered to be a reliable connection for online gaming. It is wired, which means it is not prone to interference from other wireless devices and has a more stable connection than Wi-Fi.
Q: Is CAT 8 better?
A: CAT 8 is a type of Ethernet cable that is designed to support higher speeds and frequencies than previous versions. It is capable of supporting speeds up to 40 Gbps, which makes it well-suited for use in high-bandwidth applications such as online gaming. However, the speed of your internet connection is ultimately limited by your internet service provider and the hardware you are using, so using a CAT 8 cable will not necessarily result in faster internet speeds.
Last update on 2023-05-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIGaming techies is supported by it's awesome community, using the amazon affiliate links on our website helps keeps the lights on! at no additional cost to you.