Carpel Tunnel and Gaming all that you need to know.
Can Gaming Cause Carpel Tunnel?
Carpel Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) is an increasingly common affliction that can cause pain, numbness, and tingling in the hands and arms. While there are many risk factors for CTS, it’s essential to understand if gaming could contribute.
Gaming puts much strain on your hands, wrists, and arms due to the repetitive motions required to play games. This type of strain can lead to several problems, such as soreness or fatigue in the muscles, joints, and tendons. Additionally, staying in one position for prolonged periods increases pressure on specific nerves, which could contribute to CTS. So, is carpel tunnel from gaming a real thing? Keep reading to find out more.
- In What Ways Does Playing Video Games Raise one’s Danger of Getting Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
- Tips for Gamers to Avoid Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:
- Can Gaming Cause other medical conditions?
- Bottom Line
- Gaming Hand Rest- Best Sellers
In What Ways Does Playing Video Games Raise one’s Danger of Getting Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
The number of video game fans in North America is growing. Video games have become increasingly popular as a significant form of entertainment thanks to the proliferation of new gaming consoles, the improvement of graphical technology, and the development of more immersive and exciting games.
In fact, in 2018, over 23 million Canadians reported playing video games, and 58 percent of adults and 80 percent of teenagers said playing more frequently since the outbreak.
Back discomfort, gamer’s grip, Nintendonitis, tennis elbow, and carpal tunnel syndrome are just some of the ailments these “gamers” are experiencing as a direct result of excessive gaming.
Tips for Gamers to Avoid Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:
- Take Short Breaths
Be sure to take short breaks frequently. Get up, move around, or do light stretches every 10-15 minutes. This helps your wrists relax and can reduce the risk of overuse injuries.
- Use a Wrist Rest
Use a gaming pad with wrist rests. Many gaming pads come with built-in soft supports for your wrists that help keep them in a neutral position while you play. If yours doesn’t have this feature, consider buying an ergonomic mouse pad with a wrist rest to provide extra support.
- Adjust Controller Settings
Adjust the settings on your game controller to reduce stress on your hands and wrists. Make sure the controller is comfortable enough to hold without straining your muscles—that way, you can keep playing without worrying about hurting your wrists.
- Stay Hydrated
Remember to eat well and stay hydrated while gaming. Eating healthy snacks with protein and complex carbs can help boost your energy levels and give you the endurance needed for longer play sessions. And staying hydrated is key for keeping your hands loose and relaxed—so don’t forget to drink plenty of water!
- Wrist Exercise: Flexion/Extension
Doing Wrist Exercises can be of assistance! Start by sitting up straight with your arms resting on a flat surface, such as a table or desk. Keeping your elbows bent at 90 degrees, slowly move your wrists up and down 10 times with your palms facing up for flexion and palms facing down for extension.
Can Gaming Cause other medical conditions?
Excessive computer gaming can potentially lead to several medical issues, including:
- Repetitive strain injury (RSI): RSI is a type of injury that occurs due to repetitive movements or overuse of the hands, wrists, or other parts of the body. Common symptoms of RSI include pain, swelling, and stiffness in the affected areas.
- Eyestrain: Prolonged use of a computer can cause eyestrain, leading to symptoms such as dry or itchy eyes, headache, blurred vision, and neck and shoulder pain.
- Poor posture: Poor posture while gaming, such as sitting in an awkward position or leaning too far forward, can lead to musculoskeletal problems, including back and neck pain, as well as headaches.
- Sleep disorders: Excessive computer gaming can disrupt sleep patterns and lead to sleep disorders, such as insomnia.
- Weight gain: Spending long periods of time sitting and gaming can contribute to a sedentary lifestyle, leading to weight gain and an increased risk of obesity and related health problems.
It is important to take breaks and engage in other activities to reduce the risk of these medical issues. It is also important to maintain good posture and eye hygiene while gaming. If you experience any concerning symptoms, it is a good idea to speak with a medical professional for further evaluation and treatment.
If you’re a heavy gamer, it might be time to take a break and give your hands a rest. Carpal tunnel is no joke and can cause severe pain and damage if not treated properly. If you’re experiencing any symptoms of carpal tunnel, be sure to see a doctor immediately. In the meantime, try cutting back on your gaming or taking more breaks between sessions.
Gaming Hand Rest- Best Sellers
- These arm rest support suitable for desktop up to 1.9″(5cm) thick, convenient to use from home to office, desk to chair.
- Surface Made of ABS material with padded memory foam, comfortable and durable, minimizes your wrist and shoulder strain.
- These computer armrest reduces arm pressure and eliminates the muscles tension in the neck, arms and shoulders.
- Made of Comfortable Memory Foam and soft & Smooth & Breathable Material to the pads, supply Lightweight, Comfortable, Durable and Ergonomic touch, slow bounces back and not easy to out of shape and Ideal for Longer Hours of Use
- Non-skid Rubber base provides heavy grip preventing sliding or unwanted movement for Keyboard and mouse pads, Double Sticking and Press handing for edge to supply flat and smooth edge and will not roll up nor split open;
- 17*3.4*1 inch keyboard wrist pad and 6.3*3*1 inch mouse wrist pad fits most computers or notebooks, improve hand and wrist posture, avoid joint and wrist problems and release your elbows and shoulder stress for long hours of use on the computer;
- Soft & Comfortable Material: Made of Memory foam, slow bounces back, soft texture but not easy to deformation, ideal for longer hours of use.
- Anti-skid Bottom: Non-slip rubber base provides a heavy grip to avoid sliding or unnecessary movement for the keyboard on the table.
- Ergonomic Design: Special wave design perfectly supports your wrist to mitigate wrist fatigue and alleviate pains due to continuous typing.
What is carpal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition that occurs when the median nerve, which runs from the forearm into the hand, becomes compressed at the wrist. This can cause symptoms such as numbness, tingling, and weakness in the hand and fingers.
What are the common causes of carpal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal tunnel syndrome can be caused by a variety of factors, including repetitive hand and wrist movements, such as those that may occur when using a computer for long periods of time. Other potential causes include arthritis, pregnancy, and obesity.
How is carpal tunnel syndrome treated?
Treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome may include rest, splints or braces to keep the wrist in a neutral position, physical therapy, and medication. In severe cases, surgery may be necessary to relieve the pressure on the median nerve. It is important to speak with a medical professional for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment plan.
Last update on 2023-02-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIGaming techies is supported by it's awesome community, using the amazon affiliate links on our website helps keeps the lights on! at no additional cost to you.