Keeping your Gaming laptop cool – All possible methods
How to Keep a Gaming Laptop Cool
Overheating is one of those reasons that can keep you from enjoying a smoother and flawless gaming experience. If you are also facing this issue, you might want to have a solution that can get you out of it. In this guide, we will tell you how you can keep your gaming laptop cooler no matter how intense or long the session is.
Related: Reduce CPU Usage
- Why Gaming Laptops turn Hot?
- Is Cooling down a Gaming Laptop Necessary?
- Keeping a Gaming Laptop Cool; a complete Guide
- Laptop Cooling – Best Sellers
Why Gaming Laptops turn Hot?
Gaming laptops are made exclusively to provide you greater help and ease for all your gaming sessions that you enjoy playing most among all. The great thing about these gaming laptops is that they are lightweight, portable, come in an easy-to-handle frame, and have an advanced pack of graphics in a compact size. However, this compactness is their biggest plus point, while on the other hand, this very compactness is also one of the biggest weaknesses of these laptops.
The reason for saying this is that even the normal laptops generate a lot of heat while being used, and in the case of these laptops, their powerful GPU (GPU for Ryzen 2700x) is something that gets extremely worse as compared to those.
Is Cooling down a Gaming Laptop Necessary?
While talking about playing high-end games on a gaming laptop, it is extremely important that it remains cooler during all the long sessions. This is because all these heavy profile games require a lot of RAM and speed to run smoothly to help you enjoy the session to the optimal level. To support these games, if your gaming laptop is not cool as it is required, then you might get irritated as it will get slow each time its GPU and CPU are under heavy load.
So, if you want to have a smoother gaming experience with all your favorite games, then it is highly necessary that you do something to keep your laptop cool. It should remain cool during all the extended gaming sessions, no matter how much and how long you take them on a daily basis.
Keeping a Gaming Laptop Cool; a complete Guide
There are many things that you can try out to make sure your laptop’s cooling system remains functioning properly and can even allow you to enjoy some extra activities most conveniently as well. Here are some things that you can try out to get the most results:
Keep your Gaming Laptop in a Proper Place.
The very first thing that you have to make sure of is that you keep your gaming laptop at a suitable place that does not support it to generate more heat. For that, you have to take great care that you keep it on a flat surface rather than a soft one.
This is because when you place the laptop on a softer surface like a bed or on your lap, some or probably all its fans that are on the underside will be covered completely, and thus the airflow is blocked. With this, the cooling system of the laptop is prevented from functioning properly. While on the other hand, if you keep it on a flat surface, these fans get enough space to regulate the airflow even better.
If you don’t find any convenient surface to place your laptop, you can keep it on your lap. After that, you have made sure that you have not blocked the fan intake. You can do it by elevating it by using some box, book, or any similar kind of object that you think might suit best for the purpose.
The next thing you can do is cleaning the dust and the particles from it regularly. The air is circulating all the time through your laptop, and as a result of it, the dust gets build up most consistently. This accumulated dust can make your gaming laptop slow and can prevent you from going smoothly through your gaming session.
To prevent this issue, you cannot stop your laptop from working, but what you can do is clean up your laptop every three to six months.
Related: How to Clean Gaming Keyboard
Related: How to Clean Gaming Mouse
Another most helpful thing that you can do to avoid overheating issues in your laptop is that you get a cooling pad or a laptop cooler for the purpose. It can help you a lot with these overheating issues.
These cooling pads operate through a very simple process: you just have to place these cooling pads on some surfaces and place your laptop on top of them. Then plug your laptop’s USB port, and the fans will ultimately do their own work. It’s that simple!
If you feel you have tried all of the things mentioned above and still your gaming laptop still gets overheated most of the time, then you try taking notice of underlying hardware or software issues that might be with your laptop. You can try out the following things:
- If you see that your laptop’s performance drops noticeably and is also accompanied by heat increase, then there might be that its graphics card reaches a critical temperature. In such situations, what you can do is get a cooling pad or clean it up to make it reach its optimal level.
- Make your GPU work less hard and generate less heat by lowering down the in-game settings.
- Ensure to keep desktop-level graphics in your laptop by installing an additional external GPU. However, before buying the GPU, make sure that your CPU is powerful enough to handle the new GPU you are getting.
So, these were some solutions to the issues that make your gaming laptop run extremely hot and prevent you from playing your games smoothly. Figure out what’s making your laptop non-functional, and try the solution accordingly.
Laptop Cooling – Best Sellers
- [Adjustable Angle]Our laptop stand , adjust the height to your comfort level, so that you could feel some relief from back/shoulder/neck/arm pain caused by inappropriate postures.
- [Compatibility]9 to 15.6 inches devices such, could be work as phone holder as well.
- [Material] This laptop stand is made of aluminum alloy, sturdy and could support laptop that up to 44 lbs (20 kg). Non sticky and high quality aluminum allow easy clean and rust-proof function.
- Foldable stand for laptops up to 13 inches with 18-degree tilt and 2.95 inch lift
- Made of durable, lightweight aluminum with non-slip rubber surface pads to keep laptop in place
- Folding mechanism that tucks kickstand underneath for flat storage or transport
- ❄【Ultra-Fast Cooling】DEVASO steam deck cooler engineered with the 7 large blade fan and semiconductor cooling chip, Input Current: 9V/3A, after 30ms of power-on, the temperature of the Steam Deck console is lowered from 54°C to 4°C, you can fully enjoy the game and will not overheat. Note:Please install the cooler to the steam deck before you start playing the steam deck, to avoid hot and cold conflict.
- ❄【Large Area Cooling】This steam deck cooling fan built-in 9cm cooling module, to better protect your Steam battery and APU, reduce machine consumption, ensure high-quality game picture quality and fluency, make your game experience smoother.
- ❄【Ultra Quiet】The Semiconductor Heatsink radiator noise-reduction design,the sound noise is under 24dB, allow you playing games comfortable without any annoying sound.
Do Cooling Pads Help Gaming Laptops?
Gaming laptops over get overheated because of improper placement and also because of carelessness in cleaning; however, cooling pads can effectively reduce this problem. These greatly help the laptop in battling against throttling and also prolong the longevity of your laptop. So, these cooling pads actually help gaming laptops in working well.
How do I Keep my Gaming Laptop Cool?
Keeping a gaming laptop is not a problematic task; rather, it is an extremely simple process. All you have to do is first figure out why your gaming laptop is overheating while you are gaming, and then try out installing an additional GPU, cooling pads, and even the cleaning process depending upon your problem.
Is it Normal for a Gaming Laptop to Get Hot?
Gaming laptops often get hot, especially when you are gaming or performing any other task that demands intensive hardware like video editing or compiling software etc. However, if your laptop gets intensely hot while you perform any of the tasks, then it might not be normal as it may be caused because of premature hardware failure.
Q: What are the cons of using air cooling for a gaming computer?
A: The cons of using air cooling for a gaming computer include:
1- Ineffectiveness: Air cooling may not be as effective at cooling high-performance components as other options, such as liquid cooling.
2- Noise: Air cooling can be noisy, especially if you are using high-performance fans or have a lot of fans in your system.
Last update on 2023-02-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIGaming techies is supported by it's awesome community, using the amazon affiliate links on our website helps keeps the lights on! at no additional cost to you.