How to Pair AirPods with Pc (Windows,Mac & Linux) Complete Guide
AirPods use Bluetooth to connect with all Apple devices. You can pair your AirPods with any Apple product by just bringing up the control center. Fortunately, it is also possible to pair your AirPods with other devices using the Bluetooth setup. In this article, I will explain how to pair AirPods with a PC running on any OS.
Without any further delay, let’s jump straight to the point.
How to Pair AirPods with a Windows 10 PC?
Windows 10 is the latest and only supported operating system by Microsoft. You are probably running an outdated system if you still haven’t updated to the latest Windows 10 build. Windows 10 provides the most complete family experience that you can utilize to connect with all your devices seamlessly, here’s how:
- Laptop or PC with Bluetooth hardware.
- Windows 10 (1903 or later update).
- Apple AirPods (60%+ charge)
- Click on the notification center in your Windows 10 PC (bottom right corner).
- Make sure that the Bluetooth device is active and you have updated drivers.
- Select “All Settings” from the action center of the notification panel.
- You can also open the settings by pressing the Windows key and click on the settings icon located above the power icon.
- Select “Devices” from the settings app.
- Choose Bluetooth and other devices from the left panel.
- On your AirPods, open the case lid and long-press the setup button located at the backside of the case.
- The light changes from green to white as soon as the pairing mode is activated.
- Click on Add Bluetooth device on your PC, and you will see Apple AirPods on the list.
- Select the AirPods from the list and wait for 30-60 seconds.
- You will see the message on the screen saying, “Your device is ready to go!”. So, you are good to go.
How to Pair AirPods with Mac PC?
Apple AirPods come pre-compatible with all Apple devices, including Mac-based laptops and PCs. Unless you are running an older Macintosh version, in that case, it is now time to update to the latest “Monterey” operating system.
- Apple laptop or PC with Bluetooth hardware.
- MApple AirPods with at least 60% charge.
- The pairing process can be as simple as a single click or as complex as going through the settings app.
- The simple process is applicable if you are using the same iCloud account on all your Apple devices like iPhone, iPod, iPad, and MacBook.
On your iPad:
- Bring down the control center by swiping down at the time on your status bar.
- Turn on the AirPods by opening the lid on the case and holding down the setup button for 2-3 seconds till the light turns white.
- Tap on the audio wave icon on your iPad and select Apple AirPods from the list.
On your MacBook:
- Toggle the AirPods pairing mode by opening the case lid and long-pressing the setup button on the case.
- Click on the volume icon from the menu bar.
- You will find Apple AirPods in the list, select them, and you are ready to go.
MacBook with a Different iCloud id:
- Activate the pairing mode by long-pressing the case setup button till the light turns white.
- Open system preferences from the menu bar and head to the sound section.
- Make sure that your Bluetooth is turned on.
- Let it scan for a couple of seconds and choose your AirPods from the list.
- The same procedure applies to pairing your AirPods with an unregistered iPad.
How to Pair AirPods with a Linux or Ubuntu PC?
Pairing your AirPods with a Linux-based system requires a lot more than just heading over to the settings app. However, judging by your OS, you should know how to run command lines in the Terminal app. Otherwise, there is no point in using a Linux OS on your PC.
- Latest Linux (any flavor)
- Bluetooth hardware in your PC.
- Apple AirPods with at least 60% charge.
- Head over to /etc/Bluetooth/main.conf and enable BR/ER as well as Low Energy mode.
- You can do this by opening the .conf file and changing to ControllerMode = dual.
- Disable all other paired devices with the AirPods such as your iPhone, iPad, and laptop.
- Toggle the pairing mode by long-pressing the case’s setup button for 2-3 settings till the light turns white.
- Run bluetoothctl and type scan on in the available prompt.
- Copy the Bluetooth address of your Apple AirPods from the list.
- Type pair <the copied Bluetooth address< and hit the Enter button.
- Close the AirPods case lid and wait for 5 seconds before opening the lid again.
- Head over to the settings, choose Bluetooth and connect to your Apple AirPods.
- Go to the sounds section and choose your AirPods as the sound output device.
Apple AirPods provide the easiest method of pairing with your iDevice. However, the setup becomes a little complex when connecting with non-IOS products. This article explains in detail the complete guide of how to pair AirPods with PC for every possible operating system.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to connect a Windows laptop with Apple AirPods?
Apple AirPods don’t get paired automatically with your Windows 10 PC, and you have to do the pairing manually. Head over to the Bluetooth settings from Settings>Devices> Bluetooth, and select add Bluetooth and other devices. Select your AirPods from the list and enjoy.
How to pair AirPods with an Apple TV?
Toggle the pairing mode of your AirPods by holding the setup button on the case. Head over to the settings app on your Apple TV and go to Bluetooth settings. Scan for new devices and select your AirPods from the list.
Can I use Apple AirPods with Spotify and Netflix?
Yes, you can use Apple AirPods with your paired devices and enjoy streaming apps like Spotify and Netflix. You can find the appropriate guide on how to pair AirPods with your device from this article for your respective OS.