The Ultimate Innovation in Gaming Monitors Samsung Odyssey Arc
It was first showcased by Samsung at CES, and truthfully, since I first heard of it I thought it looked like a cool state-of-the-art display, but ultimately, it’s kind of interesting.
This type of innovation tends to come with a lot of hype, and in my experience, innovation in this space and its hype rarely live up to their expectations.
first showcased by Samsung at CES, and honestly, when I first heard of it I thought it looked like an intriguing, innovative concept display.
A Rotating Display? Why?
If you are in branding or marketing, this could be used in a number of setups to better display products, or communicate your marketing activities.
Why is this so, and what about us, the consumers? Is it useful? What are its pros and cons for average consumers:
Display Specifications Samsung Odyssey Arc:
With its massive quantum tiny LED screen and 1000R curve, the Ark provides an enveloping experience with stunning sights and unexpectedly high-quality audio. The Ark, according to Samsung, is the first 55-inch monitor with HDR 10+ and Dolby Atmos audio compatibility as well as 4K resolution, a 165 Hz refresh rate, and a 1 ms response time. The Ark has six speakers in total—one in each corner and two woofers in the back—while the audio on most monitors is an afterthought, if it can be generated at all. Samsung claims that the speakers in the Ark were intended to work together to provide a 360-degree sound sphere.
|Screen Size (Class)||55|
|Resolution||3,840 x 2,160|
|Peak Brightness (Typical)||1000 cd/㎡|
|Static Contrast Ratio||1,000,000:1 (Static)|
|Dynamic Contrast Ratio||Mega DCR|
|Viewing Angle (Horizontal/Vertical)||178°(H)/178°(V)|
|Active Display Size (H x V)||1209.6(H) x 680.4(V)|
|Color Support||Max 1B|
|Color Gamut (DCI Coverage)||95%(Typ.)|
|Frame Rate||Max 165Hz|
|Mini LED Local Dimming||Yes (1,056 zones)|
Different modes provide different brightness levels, but it’s reasonable to say that the Odyssey Ark can be far brighter than its rivals, and that its color spectrum is also rich and realistic. A more muted PSG42UQ is to be expected from an OLED display, as is a little increase in color saturation.
It’s worth mentioning that even though the Odyssey Ark is one of the priciest gaming monitors money can buy, it doesn’t include an OLED display but rather a quantum mini-LED panel. Deeply comparing and contrasting the two technologies is outside the scope of this review, however, LED panels can be brighter than OLED ones, and OLED displays can still attain deeper blacks and more accurate colors. The only reason this discrepancy is being pointed out is because an OLED TV measuring 55 inches can be had for much less money.
Main Feature: Rotating Screens
A number of professionals regularly use a vertical display. If you already have a horizontal monitor, you may use this to build a super dual-screen setup by adding a vertical monitor, this where the Samsung Odyssey Ark can save you on space and a dual monitor setup.
The advantages in using a vertical setup of the Odyssey Ark:
A programmer may review several lines of code at once. As a result, they may analyze any coding mistakes and make the necessary modifications.
As a streamer, you may multitask by watching your viewers while reading their comments.
Given the popularity of TikTok, reels, and YouTube short video formats, a portrait display in video editing can be extremely useful and provide a better overall editing experience.
Copywriters and Authors
Professional copywriters and authors will always prefer a large portrait mode to review pages over landscape, as certain studies have argued to be a more efficient way of absorbing content.
Samsung Odyssey Arc Pros and Cons:
|Samsung Odyssey Arc Pros and Cons:|
|Amazing visuals / brightness capability||Expensive comparing to 4k OLD TV monitors|
|Immersive 4k Gaming experience||Heavy / Bulky|
|Save time and money for users who alternate between horizontal and vertical monitors||Refresh rate limited to 165hz given the gaming monitors market is currently offering 240hz capable displays.|
|Built-in 4 way speakers||Restricted viewing angle given the curvature|
|Wide Color Coverage||Color accuracy needs calibration|
|Ark dial for easy feature access||Ark dial can be improve|
Time-Saving Portrait Mode?
Portrait mode allows you to work for longer periods of time without risking eye damage. You can scan more content in less time when the screen is vertical since your field of vision isn’t as wide. More work may be accomplished in less time if it is done in a vertical fashion.
It may, however, only be relevant to jobs that require extensive reading, such as debugging programs, proofreading lengthy texts, reviewing documents, and writing lengthy academic papers.
Think about setting up your desk to accommodate both a horizontal monitor and a vertical monitor. Putting your screen into portrait orientation will cut the horizontal footprint of your monitor in half, allowing you to free up a lot of room on your desk. With the Odyssey Ark, you have the best of both worlds.
|HAS(Height Adjustable Stand)||Landscape : 0~270mm(±5mm), Portrait : 0~30mm(±5mm)|
|Wall-Mount (Size mm)||200 x 200|
|Windows Certification||Windows 10|
|Eye Saver Mode||Yes|
|FreeSync||FreeSync Premium Pro|
|Off Timer Plus||Yes|
|Refresh Rate||Max 165Hz|
|Eco Light Sensor||Yes|
|Auto Source Switch+||Yes|
|Quantum Dot Color||Yes|
|Game bar 2.0||Yes|
|Type (Internal/External)||Internal Power|
|Power Supply Type||AC100-240V 50/60Hz|
|SmartThings App Support||Yes|
|Bixby||US English, UK English, India English, Korean, French, German, Italian, Spanish, BR Portuguese (features vary by language)|
|Samsung TV Plus||Yes|
|Universal Guide||Yes (US only)|
|Mobile to Screen – Mirroring ,DLNA||Yes|
|Web Service||Microsoft 365|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)|
|Set Dimension with Stand (WxHxD)||46.3 x 43.4 x 15 in|
|Set Dimension without Stand (WxHxD)||46.3 x 27.7 x 9.9 in|
|Dimensions & Weight|
|Package Dimension (WxHxD)||53.6 x 36.3 x 12.5 in|
|Package Weight||125.9 lbs|
|Set Weight with Stand||91.5 lbs|
|Set Weight without Stand||46.5 lbs|
|Included in Box||Ark Dial|
|Power Cable Length||1.5 m|
|One Connect Box||Yes|
|Wall Mount Bracket||Yes|
|USB Hub Version||2|
|Tilt||Landscape : -10˚(±2˚)~10˚(±2˚), Portrait : -13˚(±2˚)~10˚(±2˚)|
|Stand Type||HAS PIVOT|
|Wall Mount (Size mm)||200 x 200|
|Color (Stand Base)||BLACK|
|Temperature||32°F ~ 104°F|
|Humidity||10%~80%, non-Condensing %|
|Factory Calibration Report||Yes|
Gaming Techies Verdict:
It’s expensive for most gamers, yet it’s a work of art. While it does lack in certain areas compared to other gaming monitors, It should not compare, this feature rich screen is in a class of its own.
While portrait-view gaming is not currently available. We might never know, what the future of gaming will involve. This screen brings the best of both worlds: horizontal and vertical views, which not many competing products on the market can say the same about.
Lastly, given the new simulation games from aviation to racing cars alongside all the existing segments that need to use a vertical monitor like coders, streamers, and content creators, we see this type of monitor evolving over the years with a growing niche in need for such innovation.
Related: Best Monitor for TikTok Content Creators
Related: Best RTX 4080 Compatible Monitors
Samsung Odyssey Arc – Best Sellers
- 55” LARGE 1000R CURVED SCREEN: The display that overwhelms your senses with its 1000R curvature that wraps around your field of vision for maximum immersion. There’s no better monitor to upgrade your gaming setup than the Odyssey Ark*
- INCREDIBLE 4K GAMING REFRESH RATES: Ark’s 165Hz refresh rate virtually eliminates lag for ultra-smooth action; Identify enemies with the help of a 1ms response time, precise mouse movements, and blur-free frames with minimized ghosting
- COCKPIT MODE & ECLIPSE LIGHTING: Rotate the screen to Cockpit Mode with HAS, tilt and pivot functionality for an optimal screen environment; This customizable positioning creates a new sense of immersion enhanced by ambient Eclipse Lighting**
- SOUND DOME TECHNOLOGY: 4 corner speakers and 2 central woofers produce a 60w 2.2.2 channel with the lowest 45Hz notes of any gaming screen or soundbar; AI Sound Booster and Dolby Atmos Sound Dome technology surround you in a three-dimensional soundscape***
- MULTI VIEW: Ark’s Multi View feature allows users to utilize up to 4 screens at once, all on the 55” wide screen; Plus, built-in apps like YouTube and Samsung TV Plus offer a Smart TV experience so gamers can play, stream and browse all on one screen****
- Get Your Head in the Game: The Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Neo G9 gaming computer monitor matches the curve of the human eye for maximum immersion and minimal eye strain; With the screen space of dual 27” panels, gamers can take command on the battlefield
- Viewing Angle is 178° (H) / 178° (V); Brightness(typ) is 420 cd/㎡; Aspect Ratio is 32:9
- NVIDIA G-Sync and AMD FreeSync Premium Pro Support: Dropping frames means dropping chances to top the leaderboards; Match every frame from your graphics card, so you’re never caught short
- Next-Level Performance: With its rapid 240hz refresh rate, you have up to 4x as many frames displayed on screen every second compared to a traditional screen; 1ms response time assures that you’re receiving info as fast as technologically possible
- Pixel Perfect Visuals: Samsung Mini LED Quantum Matrix technology provides a huge increase in screen dimming zones, from 10 to 2,048, and up to 4x the luminance compared to a traditional panel, giving you deeper blacks, brighter whites, and a pixel perfect visual experience
- UNMATCHED IMMERSION: Get your head in the game with Odyssey’s 1000R panel, which matches the curvature of the human eye for maximum immersion and minimal eye strain
- WQHD RESOLUTION: Make your gaming world, more lifelike than ever before. Packing in 1. 7 times the pixel density of Full HD, WQHD resolution boasts incredibly detailed, pin-sharp images. Experience a fuller view with more space to take in all the action
- INFINITY CORE LIGHTING: Odyssey’s Infinity Core is a striking addition to any desktop, matching world firsts in technology, with stunning visual design
- RAPID 240hz REFRESH RATE: Topping leaderboards never looked or felt so smooth. With Odyssey’s rapid 240hz refresh rate, you have up to four times as many frames displayed on screen every second compared to a traditional screen
- LIGHTNING FAST 1MS RESPONSE TIMES: A fraction of a second can be the difference between your destruction, or your enemy’s; With Odyssey’s grey to grey 1ms response time, you can be sure that you’re receiving information as fast as technologically possible
Last update on 2023-02-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIGaming techies is supported by it's awesome community, using the amazon affiliate links on our website helps keeps the lights on! at no additional cost to you.